The Happening at NUHS

A forum to discuss things happening at North Union High School.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Poll in Government Class

Go down 

Do you want the new proposal or would you want campuswear?
A. Proposal
40%
 40% [ 6 ]
B. Campuswear
60%
 60% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Poll in Government Class   Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:41 am

A poll was taken in Mr. Terrill's Government classes on 12/11/08. It was a poll for the campuswear vs. dress code. Here's the results:

1st Period: 11-4
3rd Period: 10-1
4th Period: 11-14
5/6 Period: 14-3

Majority of these students would rather have campuswear than the proposed dress code.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nuhs.forumotion.com
Frankenberry

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:49 am

Thats because campus wear is easier and the idea of a propesed dress code is already working,

it scaring us the student population to campus wear and ultimatley uniforms
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanutfan

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:31 am

Admin wrote:
A poll was taken in Mr. Terrill's Government classes on 12/11/08. It was a poll for the campuswear vs. dress code. Here's the results:

1st Period: 11-4
3rd Period: 10-1
4th Period: 11-14
5/6 Period: 14-3

Majority of these students would rather have campuswear than the proposed dress code.

see that 1 in third period that was me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
u can`t see me

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 pm

i dont understand why people would want to go to the more strict campus wear than have more freedom. Soon you find people wearing the same shirt and pants everyday just because it meets dress code. eeewwwyyy

Last edited by u can`t see me on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blondepitcher

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 pm

i agree you have more freedom with the "new" proposed one and the campus wear would get really uncomfortable so why would you want to change to that it youre having a fit about the the new dress code because campus wear is the same but WORSE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Smart Drummer

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:03 am

Campus wear would be easier because you don't get that many freedoms in the new dress code. With the new dress code you would have to ask yourself every day "Can I wear this to school or not?" because your not allowed to wear shirts with sayings or pants that have holes or frays at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
twighlight

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:32 pm

I think that campus where would be easier to decipher whether or not your aloud to where some thing. I just hope the new dress code doesn't pass at all and we just stick with what we have and enforce it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twilightfanclub.friendsmix.net/
blondepitcher

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:51 pm

why would you want something more strict its not that hard to dechphier
Back to top Go down
View user profile
courtney

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Actually it would be pretty hard to decipher what you can or cannot wear. Any jeans that anyone has, probably have some kind of cut and/or fray at the bottom of them- can't wear those. I'd rather know what I can and cannot wear so that I don't get off TAD without knowing it. I do however think it is stupid that they have to revise the dress code. If they want to change what we have now then DO IT! It's like they are all backing down and dragging it out instead of getting it over with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Smart Drummer

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Either way everyone is pretty much going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe next year. Which is quite stupid on the school's part if they think we have the money to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marine4life

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:31 pm

The Smart Drummer wrote:
Either way everyone is pretty much going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe next year. Which is quite stupid on the school's part if they think we have the money to do that.

especially with the current recession, which will become a depression sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aud

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 am

i went to the policy meeting....i watched our parents stand up for student's rights and voice their concerns about expense and turning kids into little "cookie cutters" of each other....i watched as those concerns were ignored by one administrator and dress code commitee member....i watched while other dress code committee members admitted that even THEY did not agree with alot of the proposed changes....the majority of the tax payers do NOT want campus wear OR a new strict dress code!.....that was perfectly clear...so we students need to stop wondering which "poison" we like better..."campus wear" or the new proposed dress code....the issue is this: do we want freedom of choice and personal comfort and self-expression? or do we want to lay down and let them dress us?.....speak up...write a letter to the board members....they will listen and THEY will decide
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tp=]

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 pm

no ones concerns were ignored. every committee member stood up for something different, and to say that the views of the community were ignored during this process is incorrect. i didnt want campus wear, and still dont. so i am backing up this new proposed dress code. its not that hard to follow and as i pointed out at the meeting you can still express yourself. throughout life your always gonna have boundries. highschool is no different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
curtsy22

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:50 pm

tp=] wrote:
no ones concerns were ignored. every committee member stood up for something different, and to say that the views of the community were ignored during this process is incorrect. i didnt want campus wear, and still dont. so i am backing up this new proposed dress code. its not that hard to follow and as i pointed out at the meeting you can still express yourself. throughout life your always gonna have boundries. highschool is no different.

I personally some what agree with Aud. I sat there and watched as a member of all 3 committees smirked while the public was speaking. I sat there and watched as a mom of this school district personally wrote a letter to the superintendent and asked him if he would take some time to read it, not even meaning that he had to sit there and read it. But as he did sit there and read the letter, he read that piece of paper with a smile on his face the whole time. So don't tell me that no ones concerns were ignored, because they were. And if they weren't "ignored" than they were definitely disrespected. Why would you pursue to cut the public off because of a 20 minute time limit? Wouldn't you want to hear the publics opinion because they are the ones putting their kids into this school. That was the whole point of having the meeting open to the public!!! Why wouldn't you want to hear a HIGH SCHOOLERS opinion for once when there were countless parents that had allotted the time limit???

I understand that each committee member stood up for what they believed in and what they thought would be the best for us, but how many people came to that meeting to stand up for what THEY believed in??? There are certain boundaries that you don't cross... and this is apparently a major one with the public or else the normal amount of people that show up to a board meeting would have been there, not people from all over the school district. You can't tell me that I can't wear a "Volley for the Cure" t-shirt. You can't tell me that I am not allowed to wear a t-shirt that is promoting a college that I went and visited this summer, just because it has a saying on the side of the front of it. When you go to work and have to wear a uniform, you know upfront that is what you have to wear everyday. But this is high school for crying out loud. I am here to learn, not to be told what to wear. And I am going to stand up for what I believe in, whether people like it or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vivalavida

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:45 am

"I sat there and watched as a member of all 3 committees smirked while the public was speaking. [quote]

I agree and think that it is good that people came out to support whatever they believe in. I wish that the community would do that on really important issues, not just on what we're wearing though. It is kind of sad in a way that this is what gets us fired up. Pretty typical of our community though don't you think? But, it is good to know that they stand for something.

I think that whatever side we are on, we owe each other a little respect and at least try to listen and understand the other point of view without calling names or accusing or putting down what someone believes in. That is what we will be doing in college and in most 'real life' situations. Although, sometimes the adults we see aren't always the best examples of this. It is up to us to lead the way and set the example. I don't think it is fair though to try to figure out what someone else is thinking or believing based on a facial expression or that they didn't speak out at the meeting. They may be thinking just like you or me but just didn't feel they could speak right then or maybe that isn't their style.How do we know they 'ignored' our concerns? I can see that being said about the Supt, but not the committee members. Did they tell you that? Maybe they were just frustrated at the whole issue and the 'smirk' or eye rolling was their way of dealing with stuff...it doesn't have to mean they were disagreeing. I think unless we have talked to that person face to face and gotten it word for word that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. I agree facial expressions say a lot, but I know people think I'm pissed a lot of the time when really that is just my face Mad haha

The committee members were just there to pull things together and try to come up with a solution to a problem that was presented to them. They weren't the ones that came up with the idea...it was Mr. Smith and the school board members last summer. Let's not forget that. While I don't agree with all that they came up with, the committee was a group and not just individuals. I'm sure they did the best that they could with the information they had and the influence from the 'higher ups'. I am willing to give them a break. Maybe we should have called some of the committee members and let them know how we felt before this meeting took place insteading of crabbing about them afterwards. Do you really think they have that much power? Come on! It is ultimately up to the board members (who were the ones that requested this committee to begin with) to make the decision. They don't have to take any recommendations from the committee or the community...they can make any decision they want. I hope that everyone takes Aud's suggestion and is writing them a letter instead of analyzing the committee members. I have a feeling though that the 'non school employees' (parents and kids) who are on the committee are going to go back to their meeting and take a different approach because we have been heard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll in Government Class   

Back to top Go down

Poll in Government Class
Page 1 of 1